Sunday, April 26, 2009

Who am I anyway?

I was signing one of the children’s birthday card (or some other holiday!) not so long ago. I found my fingers moving towards signing "Steve" instead of "dad". The kids want my involvement when it involves writing a check to pay for something they want. School tuition. Wedding expenses. They don't want my input when it actually includes my being involved in how that money is spent, they just want the money.

Last night was the youngest daughter’s senior prom. I was surprised at how out and out shitty (is that a word?) she treated us. She completely rearranged her schedule so that she wouldn't be here during the weekend and would instead be at her mom's. The older children at least made an effort to swing by our house on the way to prom.

This is just…shit.

1 comment:

Chris S said...

Steve, I think you are suffering the beginning of the empty nest.

She's your last so go ahead and think it's shit and just go ahead and cry everytime you see her. You know she has far to grow, yet she thinks she's as grown up as she'll ever be because she's a senior this year and off to COLLEGE next year!!!! I feel for you!