Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Jenglish

I just booked a hotel room in Japan for an upcoming trip. Here's part of the automated email confirmation.

"Thank you for an inquiry.
A receptionist did the following contents.
Please confirm it. In addition, this email is served automatically.
When this email contents have case without memorizing or any questions, sorry for your inconvenience but please refer to follows."

Humm...I may be forced to pick up the phone and call, which at times is an exercise in futility with my lack of Japanese language skills. Hotel operators generally aren't that intersted in my ability to order a large draft beer, which at times is the extent of my Japanese language skills.

I should just get off my lazy arse and learn Japanese. The last time I made a serious effort at learning Japanese I determined (days and days into my studies) that my course work was actually teaching me how to pick up Japanese women.

"Hello. My name is Steve. I am an engineer for company XXX. Would you like to dance with me?" I was a slow study. The dancing was odd to me, but I was kind of like, well, whatever...The next phrase, "would you like to see my hotel room?" really woke me up.

Now I stick to ordering cold draft beer. Which is great until you want to order a hotel room!

No comments: