Monday, April 2, 2007

Training escapades

Days on the Road YTD: 41

I’ve just spent a week working with two brand new customers at my companies training facility. Typically I’ve meet and established a solid working relationship with our customers before they show up for training. In this case, I had not.

The customers were fresh out of college. Fresh as in “zero” industry experience. Now there’s a place for fresh engineers, but that place just isn’t in my training course. These customers have been on a tour-de-world training mission; my course was their fifth or sixth in a row. What a waste of my time. Five or six training classes back to back simply equates to the customers having long since passed their mental super saturation status.

While my company racked in about $10,000 from this little training escapade, I found myself just depressed to be teaching a class to students who were just too green to understand very much of what I spoke of and unable to put the information into the correct technical context. The customers own management handed them a severe disservice and they were just too young to understand the scope of the disservice yet.

Sigh.

No comments: