Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sleep? Who needs sleep?!?

I'm back in Japan this week. I flew here yesterday after spending the weekend in Ohio.

Everyone thinks that international travel is so exotic. In my case, that’s just not so.

My first bus ride (1:15 in duration) wasn't bad. I sat next to Grace, so the seats weren't quite so confining. (Time awake= 3 or 4 hours)

My first flight yesterday (2 hours) found me with a seat mate (coach) who aggressively wanted the entire arm rest and quite a bit of my reading space as well. Sleep time = 20/30 min. (Time awake= 6 or 8 hours)

Second flight (12:30 hours, in coach, in the back of the plane) found me wedged between two snoring, arm flopping, seriously leg twitching, burping, farting men. Sleep time = 20/30 min. (Time awake = 20 or 22 hours)

Second bus ride (2:00) wasn't horrible, but wasn't great. I was worried about missing my bus stop (a very bad thing when you don't speak the language!) so I tried to keep myself awake (Time awake = 22-24 hours) but kept nodding off.

I grabbed some dinner after I checked into my hotel. I'm sure everyone around me was pleased to be seating next to the foreigner who smelled like a goat, but I didn't care. I just didn't care.

I went to bed around 10:30PM and slept until about 3:30AM. The AC in my room is more of a theoretical concept than an actuality. I had it down as low as it would go, on the highest flow available, and it was still very warm in my room. The AC is just enough to take the edge off. I swear I always forget that when I'm staying in small hotels here. AC=reduced heat/humidity, not AC=total comfort.

No comments: